TORONTO, July 27, 2023 — The Toronto Region Board of Trade congratulates all incoming ministers as part of yesterday’s federal cabinet shuffle and thanks outgoing ministers for their years of service. As the largest urban chamber of commerce in Canada, the Board is eager to work collaboratively with the federal government to urgently advance an economic growth and competitiveness strategy for our region.
We welcome the appointment of 14 cabinet ministers from the Toronto Region, who are well-positioned to understand the unique challenges facing Canada’s only megacity. We hope they will join us in working to build a more prosperous, productive, and sustainable economy.
Congratulations to the Ministers representing the Toronto Region:
- Hon. Chrystia Freeland (University–Rosedale) as Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Finance
- Hon. Gary Anandasangaree (Scarborough—Rouge Park) as the new Minister of Crown-Indigenous Relations
- Hon. Anita Anand (Oakville) as President of the Treasury Board
- Hon. Bill Blair (Scarborough Southwest) as Minister of National Defence
- Hon. Karina Gould (Burlington) as Leader of the Government in the House of Commons
- Hon. Mark Holland (Ajax) as the new Minister of Health
- Hon. Ahmed Hussen (York South–Weston) as Minister of International Development
- Hon. Marci Ien (Toronto Centre) as Minister for Women and Gender Equality and Youth
- Hon. Kamal Khera (Brampton West) as Minister of Diversity, Inclusion and Persons with Disabilities
- Hon. Mary Ng (Markham–Thornhill) as Minister of Export Promotion, International Trade and Economic Development
- Hon. Ya’ara Saks (York Centre) as the Minister for Mental Health and Addictions and the Associate Minister of Health
- Hon. Filomena Tassi (Hamilton West–Ancaster–Dundas) as the Minister Responsible for the Federal Economic Development Agency for Southern Ontario
- Hon. Rechie Valdez (Mississauga–Streetsville) as Minister for Small Business
- Hon. Arif Virani (Parkdale–High Park) as the new Minister of Justice and Attorney General of Canada
We also welcome the opportunity to work with incoming ministers in key portfolios aligned with our priorities, including the Hon. Pablo Rodriguez (Minister of Transportation), the Hon. Sean Fraser (Minister of Housing, Infrastructure and Communities), and the Hon. Anita Anand (President of the Treasury Board).
We offer our thanks to the ministers no longer in cabinet for their years of service to the Toronto Region and their portfolios. Thank you to the Hon. Marco Mendicino (Eglinton–Lawrence), Hon. Omar Alghabra (Mississauga Centre), and the Hon. Carolyn Bennett (Toronto–St. Paul’s) for their dedication to their roles and their commitment to Canada.
We look forward to engaging in constructive dialogues, sharing our research and insights, and working to shape policies that will propel Toronto toward a brighter future. The Toronto Region is vital to Canada’s global competitiveness, and we will all benefit from working together to make Toronto a more livable, accessible, and prosperous city.